跳至主要内容

learning some sbt fu by build the bfg tool excerpt: sbt 1 2 3

I want to build the bfg tool

In my previous blog I talked about bfg the bfg-repo-cleaner. It is a fast repo maintain tool written in scala. The developer didn't provide any prebuilt binary downloads.

So, clone and built by myself.

SBT do not work well the maven way

After some simple git clone. Backed with some maven knowledge and knowing that sbt is kind of same tool.

I thought like a fool that a sdk install sbt followed by sbt build command will built a beautiful jar in target directory as maven package do.

Sbt version mismatch

Quickly, I learn the first lesson from sbt: sbt will not build the old project with latest sbt version, it will always try to build the project with declared version. If the version is not available locally, SBT will try to download it until successes with the downloading.

  1. sbt will download with project declared sbt version if not already installed.
  2. sbt will download the project declared scala version if not already installed.
  3. sbt is big! And the download is realy slow.
  4. scala is big, too, alas!!!

Sbt likes REPL

After several bindly sbt foobar runs without looking into the README a single sight. I learned my second lesson from bfg project: project README and BUILD document is important!!!

Just as maven works, the mode java runs, fire and wait for the result. sbt works the way scala runs, start a REPL and interact with it.

The power of scala runtime

The third lesson I learn from sbt is that: a pure sbt built jar will depend on scala runtime, to make an Uber jar one must use sbt assembly plugin.

With assembly plugin applied, the KB sized pure jar will quickly grow to 1x MB sized fat jar with power of scala runtime embedded. Thereafter, a separated installation of scala is not necessary anymore.

 

评论

此博客中的热门博文

Use MobaDiff with git difftool

Recently there's an activity in IT that forces the deletion of all unauthorized softwares from all work machines. Unfortunately, kdiff3 is one in the list. As it is generally okay to use vimdiff as an alternative for kdiff3, A gui tool is better suited for desktop workflows. Known that MobaXterm is shipping a gui diff tool named MobaDiff. But it only appears in the windows right click context menu. Find the real application name takes me some time to search in the windows registry. "MobaRTE.exe", which is the one invoked by HKCR\*\shell\MobaDiff. And it was invoked with "-contextdiff" switch to show MobaDiff UI, while when the switch is "-contextedit" it shows MobaTextEditor. Too bad that the "-contextdiff" switch do not support pre-image post-image as other diff tool did, which effectively made it unable to be used as a command line diff utility. Also MobaTech did not mention anything in their document of this Mob...

Emacs 26.2 windows Hunspell setup

 Hunspell failed with default setup With my shining new emacs26.2 setup, I am happy until trying to `M-$’ on a word. I got following error message, it used to be work by just set ispell program to hunspell. Starting new Ispell process hunspell with default dictionary... split-string: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil After some check in my customization setting. nothing found. install a copy of hunspell dictionary At first I think it was caused by no hunspell dictionary. I downloaded en US and en CA hunspell dictionary from wordlist.sf.net project. After put the .aff and .dic files into C:directory I’ve also made a symbolic link from en US ones by running the `mklink’ tool: mklink default.aff en_US.aff mklink default.dic en_US.dic Err… hunspell does not work, still. Time to read code Dig into ispell.el I suprisingly find there’re lots of hunspell specific logic. Originally I was thinking hunspell support involves no elisp work. Acturally ispell did many work to de...

XEmacs 21.5 beta 35 "kohlrabi" has been released.

If you are an old XEmacs user, you may feel happy to see this from https://www.xemacs.org/.    After ten years, XEmacs released a new version 21.5. So there's still many people cares about XEmacs. The XEmacs' source repo have been moved from altassian Bitbucket to https://heptapod.net/. As Bitbucket have been dropped Mercurial support many years ago.